March 13th to April 24th, Our House, Derby
Up till now I’d been raising the loft floor without putting down the extra insulation. I did this mainly to see if I could successfully work my way round the various beams, rafters and other loft lumps and bumps and end up with a flat and, more importantly, solid floor.
Having proved I could, I took it all up again ready to put down the insulation I’d bought.
The insulation in question, Knaufs Eko Roll loft insulation, I got from B&Q. Being 170mm deep it fits perfectly in the gap between the existing insulation and the raised floor.
Not being sure quite how it would work out I bought 4 rolls each of which should cover approx 6.5m².
What I am sure of is fitting the floor first, then removing it to fit the insulation isn’t the most sensible way to do this. With the loft still full of crap I’d almost painted myself into a corner having to store the now removed floor out of the way so I could wrestle the insulation in place.
To further improve the insulating properties I ran this new layer at 90 degrees to the existing insulation to reduce the chance of any gaps in the coverage.
Once I’d got going it was just a case of keeping going, installing the insulation across the entire width of the loft.
With the insulation now down I could refit the floor, stand back and admire my handy work. I have to say I’m quite pleased with the results.
It also meant I had a stable floor to move the crap around to work on the rest of the loft, a process which was much easier now I’m installing the insulation as I go.
From this point on it was just a case of rinse and repeat. I’d move some of the crap out of the way so I had space to work, take up the old floor, fit the loft legs and insulation before refitting the now raised floor and move on to the next section.
In the end it took me 10 long Sundays spread across a 12 week period to raise and insulate the entire loft floor.
To make sure things were as insulated as possible I filled in the gaps between both the floor and the joists and the floor and the wall.
I also made sure insulation was fitted right up to the wall we share with next door.
Following the manufactures instructions I didn’t cover our Aqualisa power shower control unit with insulation. Instead I cut some of it away to create a little nest for it to sit in. This is the only place in the loft that doesn’t have the full 270mm worth of insulation over it.
Somethings I repositioned so I could keep the insulation as thick as possible, like the power extension for our router and hubs in the airing cupboard below.
Raising the floor also allowed me to resolve some issues that had occurred over time with the old floor. Most notably the fooring and insulation around the pipepwork and water tanks. Before the insulation was neither thick or in good condition and the floor itself was starting to collapse. Now using the loft legs and new insulation it looks much neater and feels totally solid.
Total Cost and what was left
Initially I’d bought 4 rolls of insulation but I ended up needing to buy extra 2 rolls. Those 6 rolls cost me a total of £144.
I also had to buy more Loft Legs but, because Id used wooden brackets around the base of the loft joists where the legs wouldn’t fit, I didn’t need anywhere near as many as I first thought. In the end I used 10 boxes of Loft Legs. Of the 120 legs that gave me I used 114 of them at a total cost of £143
Despite reusing the original loft boards and the raised floor being approx 1/3rd smaller than the old one I still had to buy some new loft boards. I only needed 4 to complete the loft but they come in packs of 3. The two loft packs cost me £30 and left me with 2 spare boards.
With another £32 spent on screws and other hardware the total cost of raising the loft floor and insulating to a total depth of 270mm, including the boards themselves, was £349.